August 9, 2007

Sometimes I Wonder About Certain People......

I took
my first swim exercise class today. I tell Ryan, who is in the other pool, that I will try the class and stop if it gets to hard.
The instructor says "Oh, once you start you can't leave."

The instructor asks if anyone is new and I raise my hand. She explains that it is pretty self explanatory and thats that. I start in the shallower end and ask the instructor if it is harder in the shallower part or deeper. She gives a lame explanation that both are harder in their own way. I decide I will continue and see if I can't adapt myself. About 20 min into the routine, my legs start to really hurt.

I ask, if the deeper end might not be easier on my legs.
She gives me attitude and asks in a snide tone, "So, whats your problem?"
I look at her dead in the eye and say, "I Have MS and my legs are starting to hurt!"
Chagrined, She says, "Oh, deep end is better, here is a weighted belt"
She is overly nice to me the rest of the time.

What I don't understand is, I was the first one at the class and I walked in with a cane. Wouldn't that be a clear sign that I am disabled. DUH!!!!!

I understand that I was about 10-20 yrs younger than everyone, but being young doesn't mean you are excluded from being disabled. If I was more able, I would have been doing aerobics/step in the workout area. I took this class so I would feel more capable and fit in better. What the instructor did was cause me to feel yucky about myself and singled out attention wise. Whats even sadder is that this class was specifically for the physically challenged. She should know how to teach this class. KWIM!!!!! It just makes you wonder, these people are supposed to know better. At least the people that hired these insructors should....

That said, even though she wasn't the best teacher. I did make it through the class. I felt like that, in it's self, was a big accomplishment, even if she was a Non Compos Mentis!!!

No comments: