April 13, 2008


Why do people keep bugging me to potty train Matthew???

Specifically Ryan's Dad and Matthew's Headstart Homebase teacher Beverley. Ryan's dad wants Matthew potty trained so he doesn't have to change Matthew's diaper anymore when he babysits him. Beverley wants us to start potty training him because Matthew is almost three years old and typical 3 year olds are potty trained.

I have explained to them quite a few times that Matthew is not developmentally ready for such a task. How can I expect a child, who can't undress or dress himself and doesn't know and can't tell us when/or if he has gone peepee or pooped, to be ready to be potty trained. Pushing Matthew right now would be futile and cause both him and I undo stress.

Matthew is disabled. He is not a typical 34 month old. Both David and Beverly know this, have read the Doctors reports, and have seen it for themselves, but for some reason they can't come to terms with it. Their ignorance hurts me. I know that Matthew is disabled but to have to explain why he can't do something again and again is like rubbing salt into an open wound. The wound keeps opening and the pain is renewed.

I would love to not have to change diapers. I would love to clap and cheer for him as he pee's in the potty. I can't wait to do our line dance, while singing our "peepee in the potty, poopy in the potty"song. I can't wait until I can give him little lollipops when he poop's in the potty. I would love to see Matthew running around in little Thomas The Train undies. I want to take alot of photo's of those cute little buns running around.

Matthew is not ready right now. I believe that one day, with God's help, he will be. Just give him time!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

stick to your guns!! every child does it when THEY are ready!! When you 2throw a disability in to the mix then you really have to follow the lil man's cues!io